I purchased a small fishing tackle box at Wal-Mart. I think I paid around $8. Then I went through our first-aid items in the house and began to load it. Below are the items included in our med kit (you may need a few different items for your family).
- hydrogen peroxide
- survival wrap (those silver blankets that come in first aid kits)
- cotton balls
- gauze pads
- burn treatment pads
- cleansing wipes
- thermometer with probe protectors
- bandages of all sizes
- hand sanitizer
- children's allergy relief
- children's ibuprofen
- adult ibuprofen
- adult allergy relief
- gas relief
- anti-bacterial cream
- anti-itch cream
- chap stick
- small pair of scissors
- two brown paper lunch bags (can be used for hyperventilating or if someone gets sick)
- Epipen *
This is the tackle box I purchased at Wal Mart.
Here is a picture of all the items I put in the tackle box. The scissors and brown paper bags are not pictured. I added those after I took the photo.
I decided to print large labels stating that it was a med kit. I want the kids to understand that this is not something for them to play with. Also, I would hate for my husband or son to accidentally grab this "tackle box" on our next Cub Scout fishing trip.
I also labeled the back of the box. Ok...I labeled each side, as well. :)
Free Printable Labels: I have included the labels for you. I used Avery EcoFriendly White Shipping Labels (which use Avery Template 5163).
* After clicking (click here to print), you will be sent to a Google Doc page. From there select "file", then select "download". The image will download to your computer and then you can print from there.
If you decide to use a tackle box or some other organizational bend, having a prepared and organized med kit is essential.